Friday, September 3, 2010

Exhausted

Wow, I had no idea home schooling would be so exhausting.... we just finished our first full week and Rachel and I (my friend here who is home schooling her son for kinder too) went to the spa this afternoon to celebrate with pedicures and hair treatments and to encourage each other. (Remember the term "spa" is used very loosely as this is a 3rd world country!)

Last night Brant asked Elijah what he had learned at school that day... after we had spent the morning studying ancient Egypt with Rachel and her boys and making Egyptian costumes and "eating like Egyptians" for snack time. Elijah replied, "Nothing. I didn't learn anything."

I just started crying and left the room...

Punk kid.

But today I had a better attitude and we had a good day. I think I underestimated how much of an adjustment this whole school at home thing would be for both the boys and me. They are really tired and fussier than normal... and I am just stressed and constantly thinking through lessons in my mind and trying to get stuff running smoother. I don't think it's helped that I've had a nasty cold all week and have felt crummy. I'm starting to get better but Ezra now has it, and if there is one thing worse than being sick, it's having a baby who is sick. Also hasn't helped that we had Back to School Night at the MK school (where I'm teaching one class a day) and a luncheon with the school board this week and I don't have a lot of time for extra stuff like that....

Anyways, overall, I think the schooling is going well. I have enjoyed it; and in some moments Elijah will even admit that he is learning stuff and likes doing school. My class up at the MK school is going well too; I have a big class this year and lots of energy and excitement, which is fun; good mental break from teaching "a is for apple; b is for ball" daily. :)

Our big prayer request at the moment is that we can continue to get into a good routine and the groove of all these extra responsibilities. Our time interacting with our neighbors and the people in our local church has definitely suffered the last couple weeks, so we want to get to a place where we can handle school and reaching out to the people around us.

Brant has a TON of supply orders right now. The consultants come in September to visit all the tribes... which means that all the tribes have supply orders going in; and we're already getting orders for October - our regional conference is in October which means again, everyone will have orders to fill their incoming flights... kinda complicated to explain... the long and short is Brant's really busy. :)

But we're enjoying life, even though we feel like we're just kinda hanging on one day at a time right now. Thankful to be here and for the opportunities the Lord has given us to serve Him here.

1 comment:

  1. Emily ~ Hang in there. I know you are doing a wonderful job teaching your boys. Afterall, Elijah was already reading before he ever even started school. You know that comes from what you and Brant are doing for them. When I taught kinder, it was suggested by someone older and wiser that I end everyday asking the children to share something they learned that day. Then, I recorded it on chart paper and read over it before they left for home. You might try it and see how it goes. Maybe Elijah could draw a picture of something he learned and then share it with Dad. In later years, it could lead into the boys "writing" about something they learned. Maybe someday, they could publish a paper. Oh, oh, there I go, letting my imagination carry me away! Have fun with your boys, Sweetheart. They will learn!!!!! My love to all of you ~ Mom/Kathy/Grandma

    ReplyDelete