Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Numb



Penny died last night.

She pushed Ezra in his swing and helped him navigate the bumps in the sidewalk with his little bike. She happily went along with whatever rock, stick and mud building scheme Elijah was working on and dug for hours in the dirt with Caleb. She was the little boys' friend.

I cried and cried today.

I hate this part of living in a 3rd world country. Hundreds of little gravestones littering the cemeteries. Reminders that poverty and malnutrition and lack of medical care are real and dangerous and rob beautiful little girls of their lives. Reminders that sometimes, no matter how much I try, I am powerless to help.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Em. That is just so, so, sad. Come, Lord Jesus, come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Em, that is awful. I know how deeply you cared for that precious little girl. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily ~ I am so very sorry for all of you. I have prayed for Penny every day since you first told us of her. Now, I will be praying for healing for her family and you and your family. I know how very sad you all must be. My love ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete