Sunday, October 10, 2010

How a mom celebrates

Last week I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my being able to legally buy alcohol in the United States. It was not quite the same celebration it was 10 years ago... marriage, 3 kids and a move across the world changes lots of things. (Though to be fair, for my 21st, I was in a cave camping out in Israel!)

We had originally lined up a baby-sitter, and Brant, despite his crazy busyness, was going to take the day off. But our baby-sitter got malaria and so EVERYONE took Mommy on a date. :):) It was a really fun day.

Flowers Brant got me... I was QUITE impressed... no florist shops here. He went on a tip from a friend and went to this lady's house and she cut these out of her yard and arranged them for him. :)

The highlight of the day.... we went to Pizza Hut for lunch. I LOVE pizza and Pizza Hut is the latest and greatest thing to hit our island... got here about 6 months ago in the big city about 45 minutes from us. It's very fancy.... quite easily the nicest place to eat on the island. :) The highlight of the boys' day was us letting them get an ice cream that you get to put all the toppings on... yes, in my old age, I have gotten soft on them eating sugar! (Not really... we regretted it all day as they were on definite sugar buzz!)

After a day of "shopping" (meaning we went to the import grocery store where I got a very fancy box of green mint tea that is SO good) and pizza, we came home and had "birthday dinner" - popcorn and smoothies. The trouble with living in a 3rd world country is take out options are few and a bit sketchy... so if I wanted a nice dinner I was going to have to cook it myself. Hence, we had popcorn and smoothies. :)

Ezra reached the popcorn bowl himself and was quite proud of himself.

No bakeries or box cake mixes: I made my own cake. It was a deal though, as Brant did all the dishes. (Note to self: pack lots of cake mixes next furlough!)

And of course, the boys had to have their candles too! :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! I am so sorry to hear about your babysitter having malaria. Also sad you didn't get to have a special day out. However,from the looks of things, you certainly did have a memorable day and everyone looks happy! I am so glad. When did you go out..Saturday or Sunday? What beautiful flowers! There is no question, there is not a florist here who could make anything more beautiful. Pizza Hut! Wow! What thoughtfulness to build one just in time for your birthday! It doesn't look like you have gone too far off the deep end with the sugar. I see more than one spoon in that cup. You all certainly do like popcorn. Now I understand why you need TWO POUNDS of popcorn seasoning! So sorry you had to bake your own cake. I will be sure and send the occasional cake mix in the future. Have a wonderful week. Get a hug from ALL my boys from me. I love you so much, Emily.
    ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete