Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Thankful

I had this thought a few weeks back as we tracked the Boston bombings over the Internet and happened to call home right when my parents were glued to the TV as they were shooting up a boat in someone's back yard....

I had the same thought last night as we watched about the tornadoes and I remembered all the tornado drills I went through as a kid and all my teachers saying "A tornado has never hit a school while kids were in it...."

I am thankful I can care. 

Somewhere tonight there is a mom in a neonatal ICU watching her newborn struggle to breathe. There are parents who just received the leukemia diagnosis for their 5 year old little boy. There is a husband who will sleep in an empty house tonight because his wife died in a tragic accident last week. In their world where the bottom has dropped out and time has stood still, they probably don't even know bombs went off a few weeks back and don't even know there are people in Oklahoma who don't have a home to sleep in tonight.

But nothing traumatic or awful has happened in my life and so I am glued to a screen crying over someone else's child and someone else's tragedy. Very, very sad everything that's going on in America these days and makes me sad to be so far removed. But very, very thankful that my small boys are safe in their beds asleep and my husband is sitting beside me as we watch and pray about all that is happening another world away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em,
    I sure do love your heart! It's truly the love of Jesus that you have for complete strangers. :)
    I really enjoy all of your updates.
    Much love to you and your family!
    Suz Porterfield

    ReplyDelete