Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Death by 4 year old


Being a missionary does not mean I like bugs and critters. It doesn't even mean I can deal with bugs... it means I have a nice husband who can deal with them for me. :) But alas, God created something even worse than bugs... geckos. We call them "chechuks" here and they are worse than rats - crawling all over my kitchen counters, our beds, the boys' toys, you name it, and leaving their droppings everywhere. So today when I found a HUGE (that's me screaming, and yes, slightly exaggerating) gecko on kitchen floor, I about panicked when I realized Brant was out of town for the day.

Enter Caleb. Caleb has no fear of bugs or critters or anything that moves that is smaller than he is. :) Chechuks are his friend. He was thrilled with his new pet and quickly took it outside to play. :)

"Playing" involved "giving it a drink" (laying it upside down in a puddle) "teaching it to swim" (pushing it through the puddles like he would a matchbox car) and "trying to get it to eat" (shoving an ant in its face).

All the while Elijah is running after Caleb yelling "THAT'S NOT YOUR CHECHUK, CALEB! IT'S GOD'S! HE MADE IT SO YOU CAN'T KILL IT!" Ahhhh... my sweet firstborn. PETA would be proud.

Finally Caleb put the gecko in a bucket to "rest." Something tells me it won't be going anywhere soon.

Let that be a lesson to any gecko in my kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cute picture. :) Great post, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckles! Kids are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a chance to check your blog since we got back from ND. I have been missing out! I've seen your chechuks...YEAH, Caleb!!! Sorry, Elijah. Adorable picture. It reminds me of the picture I have of their daddy with his pellet gun in one hand and a dead mouse in the other. I just heard, "First blood!" coming from the lips of my darling little boy. I'm praying for you, Emily. Love ~ Grandma

    ReplyDelete