Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday

Friday mornings we do home school co-op with Rachel (my friend here in town) and her two little boys who are Elijah and Caleb's ages. We take turns - I teach history twice a month and she teaches science twice a month. The boys LOVE it. I've posted lots of pictures of the projects we've done, so I'm not going to post any today... especially since I was teaching today and my boys were grumpy and tired and it was hard enough to get through the lesson, let alone try to get pictures! :)

We usually do a short lesson and some type of craft/project/experiment and then have snack time. Then the boys get to play for an hour or so and Rachel and I sit and have coffee and chat. It works well for everyone involved. :) I've been using Sonlight's Kinder Core History program and it's gone really well - it's a brief overview of world history/civilizations, which as Rachel and I say should really be titled "How all the different people of the world fight and what type of weapons they use" because with 5 little boys, we aren't studying the different cultures' fashion and food! :):)

Friday nights are also really fun. During the school year the high schoolers at the MK school in town have "game night" where they play whatever season's sport is against a local team (they do volleyball, basketball and in-door soccer). Everyone from the community goes and each high school class takes turns serving a meal and selling it for cheap as a fundraiser for their class (costs about $10 for us all to eat!). My favorite nights are when the junior class serves French Dip sandwiches and Frappuccinos! In REAL Starbucks cups, no less.... (which you have to return and they re-wash and re-use!) The mom of one of the juniors is a coffee fanatic and has a huge fancy espresso machine (how she got it over here, I have no idea) and she taught the juniors how to make the drinks and they have flavored syrups according to the season and everything. The drinks are such a treat for me. :) The boys LOVE game night... they run around the school play ground with all their friends and we sit and watch the game and talk to friends and I always have to check that my yearbook students are taking pictures of the game. :) I have actually never taken any pictures of us at a game night... I probably should do that some time as it's one of the highlights of our week.

No comments:

Post a Comment